Wednesday, September 14, 2016

• 1950s Egg Dress •



Unusual name?  Well, yes.  But the adorable fabric that this dress is made out of reminded us of eggs from the first time we saw it, so being named as such was inevitable.  ;)

These pictures were actually taken last fall, but with the gorgeously fall-like weather we're having, I just had to post it now!  :)




This fabric was originally mine; I had 1 yard of the blue (egg) fabric, and about 2 yards of the yellow.  When the time came to finally make it, I wanted to use Simplicity 1692 for the top, and just make a simple, pleated skirt on the bottom.  I got it mostly assembled, only to find out that I really, really didn't like it at all.  

Enter: my mom.  :)  She tried it on and loved it, just making a couple of alterations in the neckline and shoulders to make it fit better.  So I traded her this for what is now my 1930s dress fabric.  :)  We were both happy; Mom had a new dress to work with, and I had fabric to start over and make something I liked with!




She ended up buying more of the yellow plaid fabric, and making the Butterick 5920 skirt instead of a pleated dirndl skirt.  She added a bias binding of the "egg" fabric around the hem, which sets it off just right.  :)




It's hard to believe, but I got the whole entire top out of ONE YARD of fabric.  Slightly shocking.  ;)  Especially with having full, puffy sleeves!  The sleeves are cut on the cross-grain, but that didn't bother either of us.




Per usual, Mom did a smashing job on her plaid matching.  :)




Speaking of plaid-matching, she even matched up the bias trim around the hem of her skirt.  She is one amazing seamstress, let me tell you!!!!!!  :D




A bias sash seemed to be just the right accent at the waist.  And my yellow gloves?  They are always the right accessory.  ;)




I don't believe these shoes of hers have been on the blog before; they are Hotter Donna heels.  Absolutely adorable, vintage-styled, comfortable, and they match a surprising amount of outfits!!  They are definitely on my "wanted" list of shoes.  ;)

Thanks for stopping by, and for putting up with my unannounced absence last week!  Life gets hectic at times, so blogging gets set aside once in a while.  Have a lovely week, and enjoy the arrival of fall!!  :)

P.S.  If you haven't done so already, do check out Stephanie's tea cup exchange!!  I participated in the one that took place this spring, and I can tell you, it is loads of fun!  You can see my post about it here.  The deadline to sign up ends September 21st, so don't delay!  Tell Stephanie I sent you!  :)
Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. That dress looks great on her! One of the first things I noticed was the shoes, so glad you shared them as well. Also, hurrah on matching plaids. That's one of my pet-peeves when seeing either factory-made or homemade (by someone who doesn't know or care) plaid garments. This turned out lovely. You got so much use from 1 yd. A sash too - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *love* the name of this dress, and I don't think it could be called anything else. :) The combination of fabrics is stunning and the colors are all so perfect together. The sash and the hem tape add so much. I hope a green/pink combo is in her future..........(what was once a blouse can be a dress!!!). I, um, can attest that those exact shoes are very comfortable :) , and of course your mom is cute as a button once again. Great post, Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)